Saturday, June 19, 2010

Commencement 2010

Chairman Burke, Reverend Bagley, Tom Curley, Members of The Derryfield Board of Trustees, Esteemed Faculty & Staff, Derryfield Alumni . . . Parents, Grandparents and Family members of the class of 2010, and most importantly, our guests of honor, The Members of the Class of 2010, it is my pleasure to Greet all of you on this wonderful occasion of our 43rd commencement ceremony. Thank you all for being here – and to those to my left, we are particularly glad you are here.

Last year I asked the graduating class “What makes a good graduation speech?” Their resounding, instant answer - “Short, Mr. Sellers. Short.” I did not even ask the Class of 2010, because, well, that is the kind of question most Heads of School only have to ask once.

Still, I have the privilege of sharing my thoughts with you on this glorious day, and I thought I would take a moment to do just that.

Whenever I travel I make it a point to spend time with at least one school in the area. I love to eat the local food, listen to the local music . . . but I particularly like to see how the young people in that area are educated. Over the years I have developed a kind of short-hand – boiling my inquiry down to just a few questions. But listening to the response gave me a window – and often a door - in to the culture of the school.

I have come to think that If there is a single question that provides a path to understanding what a school is really about, I think it is “What does your school celebrate?”

What do we celebrate at Derryfield?

I want to offer this question this morning like the ringing of an opening bell that I hope will echo throughout this extraordinary day – What does Derryfield celebrate?

Here’s my simple answer: the people in this room at Graduation.

First, the Faculty – since our founding the Derryfield school has had an uncommon understanding that what breathes life into our mission are consummate professionals who are passionate about learning and achieving, and who want to share that passion with young people. The faculty make our school sing, make our school inspiring, make our school a place where young people want to come and be their best. We celebrate our faculty at a time like this because the proof of your work is right here.

Next: our friends and families. I came to Derryfield in part because the culture welcomed families, and made me think “that school gets it.” Families have their children 16 hours a day. We have them 8 – of course we have to work together to on behalf of your children – our students.” Of course we should build a culture where friends & family ties are celebrated. It only makes sense” – well, you might be surprised how many schools don’t see it that way.

Additionally, the level of volunteerism and support that pours forth from the friends and families in this room is truly astonishing. Many families have made all kinds of sacrifices to have your children be at our school, and in particular, be on this stage right now. That is truly worth celebrating.

Most importantly – the young people to my left. You may hear it many times today, so let me be the first: You are the reason for the day. You are the reason for this moment. You give us cause to celebrate. If someone said to me “Tell me about Derryfield – tell me what you celebrate” – I would respond “Come to graduation. You will see - We celebrate students.”


I would expect that a visitor from any town, from any culture, who was here today to understand that We are deeply proud of you, both what you have accomplished, and how you have accomplished it. Your achievements in academics, in the arts and athletics, have been nothing short of extraordinary. The friendships you have developed here are genuine and, no doubt, long lasting. The service you have performed has helped countless people, and the goodwill you have generated will continue to echo in our local and global communities. You have inspired each other, your teachers and your friends and families, and you have done it with style and grace.

It really is an honor to say, Class of 2010, you are the reason for the celebration at The Derryfield School. You are the reason we are here today. And so I will end my opening remarks by saying – this time, just to our graduates – thank you for being here.