Tuesday, October 27, 2009

On the Move

October 20th 2009

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of touring the Segway manufacturing plant in Bedford, NH. Besides learning about something that is a quintessential New Hampshire product, I confess to having a fascination with sophisticated manufacturing. How do you set-up the factory? How do you think about managing inventory, quality control, continuous improvement, supply and demand? I like to listen for the thinking, and the motivation, behind the systems.

But I have another reason – probably best described as a kind of jealousy. When people in manufacturing see their product role off the line, they get instant feedback, instant understanding, instant gratification. I think some of the most important outcomes in education are on the other end of that continuum – is the student committed to learning for a lifetime, is s/he kind to others, is s/he creative, tolerant hard working and resilient?

My guess is that, at the earliest, it can take up to ten years to see the full value of a Derryfield education. I’m not the most patient person – you can see how I would be jealous.