Thursday, July 30, 2009

War Dance

July 14, 2009

War Dance

Summer is also time to feed my passion for great documentaries, and the most moving so far has been “War Dance.” The film (available on Netflix) is set in war-torn Uganda, and it keys on several young people attending school in a refuge camp who are inspired to pursue traditional Ugandan song and dance by a handful of great teachers. I could not help thinking about our performing arts department, and the students they have inspired, while watching the film. At the same time, the environment and their day-to-day life is virtually beyond comprehension for most of us. Beforehand, I imagined coming away from the film feeling intense, renewed gratitude for the circumstances in which we learn at Derryfield. But my reaction was more akin to watching people on the moon – I could barely believe many of the scenes. On the other hand, rarely will you see a more passionate testimony about the resilience of young people.